Professor Arnaud Malan
Arnaud Malan's main research interest is the development of multi-physics Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) technology for industry. To this end, he holds the South African Research Chair (SARChI) in Industrial Computational Fluid Dynamics and serves as Director of the Industrial CFD Research group. A key objective is to develop novel computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling technology and expertise for the express support of industrial driven innovation. The Industrial CFD research group was accordingly established with the directive of creating sustainable research partnerships with premier industry, which to date includes Airbus (UK) and Airbus Defence & Space (Germany).
Areas of interest include:
1. Free-surface-modelling (FSM)
2. Fluid-structure-interaction (FSI) including aeroelasticity
3. Liquid fuel transport (aerospace and space)
4. Aerodynamic optimisation
See http://www.incfd.uct.ac.za/ for further information.
- World Record for the Class A Water Rocket from the Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association
- Published more than 90 conference and journal paper
- National Science and Technology Forum-BHP Billiton Award for an individual or a team for an outstanding contribution to SET through research leading to innovation’ in 2014 for Elemental software.
- ‘Outstanding Paper Award’ from Literati Network Awards for Excellence.
- Editorial board of International Journal for Numerical Methods in Heat & Fluid Flow